Statin Drugs and Dementia

Our brains are 60% fat, with the remaining 40% being cholesterol.  Without enough cholesterol, our brain cells die.  Additionally, 25% of the body’s cholesterol is found in the central nervous system where our neurotransmitters are located; neurotransmitters need cholesterol to communicate.  If your neurotransmitters are not communicating, you’re not thinking.  Sadly, what we are not being told is that it is high total cholesterol that reduces the risk of dementia.

All statin cholesterol lowering drugs can lead to physical and mental problems.  All statin drugs cause  muscle pain and weakness (remember that the heart is a muscle).  This is the reason that some (not all), doctors recommend CoQ10 be taken in conjunction with statins.  So if your doctor prescribes a statin drug, but does not recommend CoQ10 or Ubiquinol, by all means he/she is guilty of medical malpractice.

In addition, some people report depression, anxiety, and memory loss when taking statin drugs.  “People who consume a diet low in fats and especially low in cholesterol are at risk for depression and suicide.” PsychologyToday.com

The connection between statins and memory loss and other side effects is so strong that these medications are now required to carry a warning label on each bottle.

What Is Cholesterol, and Why Do You Need It?

That’s right, you do need cholesterol.

This soft, waxy substance is found not only in your bloodstream, but also in every cell in your body, where it helps to produce cell membranes, hormones, vitamin D and bile acids that help you to digest fat. Cholesterol also helps in the formation of your memories and is vital for neurological function.

Your liver makes about 75 percent of your body’s cholesterol,1 and according to conventional medicine, there are two types:

  1. High-density lipoprotein or HDL: This is the “good” cholesterol that helps keep cholesterol away from your arteries and remove any excess from arterial plaque, which may help to prevent heart disease.
  2. Low-density lipoprotein or LDL: This “bad” cholesterol circulates in your blood and, according to conventional thinking, may build up in your arteries, forming plaque that makes your arteries narrow and less flexible (a condition called atherosclerosis). If a clot forms in one of these narrowed arteries leading to your heart or brain, a heart attack or stroke may result.

Also making up your total cholesterol count are:

  • Triglycerides: Elevated levels of this dangerous fat have been linked to heart disease and diabetes. Triglyceride levels are known to rise from eating too many grains and sugars, being physically inactive, smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol excessively and being overweight or obese.
  • Lipoprotein (a), or Lp(a): Lp(a) is a substance that is made up of an LDL “bad cholesterol” part plus a protein (apoprotein a). Elevated Lp(a) levels are a very strong risk factor for heart disease. This has been well established, yet very few physicians check for it in their patients.

Understand this:

Your Total Cholesterol Level Is NOT a Great Indicator of Your Heart Disease Risk

If you feel you need to lower your cholesterol level there is a holistic remedy that few people know, and no doctors are talking about.  It’s unfiltered, Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs is the best).  Take one tsp of apple cider vinegar, one tsp of organic honey, and an 8 oz glass of filtered water.  Drink it every day.  Return to your doctor for a cholesterol screening after six weeks, and see if your cholesterol hasn’t dropped.  It worked for this writer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.